Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer Favorites: Lipstick & Nail Polish Under $10 Each (Review & Swatches)

Hey all! Happy June and welcome to the month that brings summer into our presence. It's time for some fun in the sun! What's fun in the sun without a few splashes of color? I love to play around with different lipsticks and bright nail polishes in the summer time, and I'm back with a review/showing of my favorite lipstick and nail polish colors for summer! I hope you all will enjoy this. If you pick up any of the colors, let me know how you like them!



Lipsticks


1. Wet n Wild 905D, "Smokin' Hot Pink" (CVS, $1.99)- This matte pink lipstick is a dream come true. It spreads easily, is not drying like most matte formulas, has buildable opaque coverage, and is suitable for all day wear. It's suitable for most skin tones, however, I would recommend wearing it with a plum or wine colored liner for darker skin tones. The price makes it even more amazing! 10/10

2. Milani 19, "Raspberry Rush" (CVS, $5.99)- I love this raspberry colored lipstick. It has a semi-matte finish, a slight bluish undertone, and light pink sparkles. It's also opaque with buildable coverage and smells wonderfully fruity, like all Milani lipsticks. The only complaint that I have is that it stains, but most good lipsticks stain a bit. 9/10

3. Wet n Wild 908C, "Sugar Plum Fairy" (CVS, $1.99) - This light wine colored lipstick is suitable for any time of year, but it's my favorite wine shade for summer time when I prefer a bit of a darker lip as opposed to the coral and pink shades I usually wear. The lipstick has a medium shine finish and stands pretty well to food and drink throughout the day, but it can tend rub off a bit. 8/10

4. Revlon 750, "Kiss Me Coral" (Walgreens, $7.29) - This has been one of my favorites for a few years! It's a pretty orange/coral shade that is suitable for ALL shades from the palest shades of ivory to the darkest shades of ebony. I would also recommend those with darker skin tones wearing this with a plum or brown lip liner. It has a medium shine finish and is long lasting, but doesn't stand up that well to foods. You will have to reapply this or wear a liner the same color underneath it. 7/10

5. Ruby Kisses, RLS05 "Burgundy" (K's Beauty Supply, $1.00) - This shade of coraly red is perfect for my skin tone and I enjoy wearing it! The color is opaque with buildable coverage. I wear a red lipliner underneath it to make it last all day long, but usually I do reapply at least once during the day. This is another color that I feel is suitable for all skin tones. The price is great as well, especially for those who want to give red a try but don't want to dive head first into the Ruby Woo (MAC) type of shades. 7.5/10


Nail Polishes



1. OPI NL I42, "Elephantastic Pink" (Gift, priced at approx. $8.75) - I got this for Christmas year before last and have not been able to find it anywhere since! It's likely that to find it you may have to order it online. This is my favorite shade of pink for spring and summer, hands down and it doesn't chip easily either. It's especially gorgeous on darker skin tones. 10/10

2. L.A. Colors NP427, "Summertime" (Family Dollar, $1.50) - As the name implies, this is a soft and pretty shade of pink that reminds me of the summer and fun in the sun. It's pretty opaque, but I would suggest wearing a base and top coat to prevent it from chipping. 8.5/10

3. OPI NL N25, "Big Apple Red" (Walmart, $8.75) - Perfect shade of summer red, doesn't chip easily, opaque, and yummy looking. Enough said! 10/10

4. Sally Hansen 530, "Please Sea Me" (Walmart, $6.48) - I absolutely love this shade of blue. I bought it last week and have been wearing it on my toes and nails for the past few weeks. It's opaque, doesn't chip easily, and is perfect for a fun beachy nail look! My only complaint is that it stains a bit. 9/10

5. Ruby Kisses RNP126, "Techno Purple" (K's Beauty Supply, $1.00) - This color is so gorgeous and vibrant. I love to use it on my toenails the most, but it also looks pretty great on fingernails. I must say, the smell is completely horrible. It smells like a mix of plastic and nail polish, to be quite honest. However, it dries pretty quickly and the smell doesn't linger for very long. 7/10

6. Sinful Colors 1123, "Citrine" - (Walmart, $2.98) This vibrant orange is new to my collection and has gained a spot in my favorites in the last 3 weeks. My other orange nail polish "Passion Orange" from Petites dried out and I wanted to find something new and discovered this shade. I love the formula and the color is very opaque. Perfect summer orange! It does stain a bit, however, and the stain takes a few days to fade. A base coat should keep that at bay. 9/10

7. Salon Perfect 112, "Dandelion Delight" (Walmart, $2.98) - I found this color while on the hunt for OPI's "I Can't Copacabana" (which I STILL haven't found lol), and I thought it would make a pretty good dupe until I find it. This is the first yellow nail polish I've ever bought or worn, and I can't believe I haven't done so sooner! It's opaque, super soft and pretty, not too golden, not too lemony, and it's just right for my skin tone. My only complaint is that this polish chips too easily in my opinion, but a good base and top coat can prevent some of that. 8/10


Hope you all enjoyed this! If you purchase any of these items please let me know if you love them or if they weren't exactly your cup of tea. I welcome your opinions and feedback on the items I post and talk about here! If you have any budget beauty products that you would like for me to review (makeup, skin care, hair care, and related items), please send your request to me at lindsi.green@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment