Wednesday, October 23, 2013

8 Tips for Thrift Shopping (Thrifting)

As someone who is on a tight budget, I have to be very cautious about my purchases and the cost of my purchases. Despite this, I love to shop! I like to see new trends and I enjoy finding things that fit my body well and make me feel good and confident. For me, the perfect solution to this is shopping at thrift stores, AKA thrifting. My personal style is a mix of vintage 40's, 50's, and a hint of 90's with a splash of modern flair, and thrift stores suit me perfectly! Over half of my wardrobe consists of thrift store clothing. The prices are amazing, and it's not hard to find quality pieces if you search. I have found quite a few name brand, quality items for ridiculously cheap prices. I have found some of everything in thrift stores, from purses to shoes, and I really enjoy going! Often, I have talked to people who don't enjoy going into thrift stores and shopping there, and I was quite surprised, since I've found so many gems. The biggest problem that they run into is being overwhelmed! Thrift stores have a LOT of items. Some of them are even cluttered with things all over the place. It can definitely be a frustrating process, especially if you're not used to thrifting. I wanted to share a few of my personal tips for thrifting, for those who might be interested. Here they are! They're in no particular order, I'm just typing them as I go. ;)

1. Go thrifting when you have PLENTY of time to browse and search the store.
  • Most of the time, it is not wise to try to make a 'quick trip' to the thrift store. It takes time to search racks and familiarize yourself with where items may be, especially if you're new to thrifting. If you're in a hurry, you may want to wait to go until you're not. Also, don't go close to closing time, you will end up feeling rushed, because the workers would like to go home when it's time to close up shop.
2. Look in your closet and make sure you know your size and size range.
  • It's so important to know what sizes to look for when you're in a thrift store. Many times, you may not be able to return an item if it doesn't fit properly.
3. Find out the return policy of the store.
  • Before you purchase something, it's good to know if you'll be able to bring it back if you don't like it. Most thrift stores, in my experience, will not give money back, only store credit if anything.
4. Walk around the store a few times and get a feel for where everything is.
  • Upon entering a store, I walk around a few times and make a mental note of where everything is, so I know where to go once I decide what I am looking for. 
5. If possible, try it on!
  • Certain things like jackets, coats, blouses, and shoes, can be tried on in-store. Ask a cashier or worker if they have a dressing room as well. Not many thrift stores have dressing rooms, but there are usually chairs and mirrors where you can sit down (to try on shoes) or stand up and have a good look at the item you're considering purchasing. If you want to try on shoes, wear socks or stockings. Do not try on shoes with bare feet, you don't know where those shoes have been.
6. Carefully examine all the items you've picked up before making your final purchase.
  • Be sure to look for rips, tears, stains, discoloration, worn down spots, scuffs, missing buttons, etc. before going up to the register with your items. If you feel like it is an imperfection that you can't deal with, it is not a wise purchase.
7. Find out about discount and restocking days!
  • Check into student discounts, military discounts, senior discounts, and whatever else may apply to you. Also inquire about holiday specials and deals. You never know about the great deals you may be missing out on by not asking. Also, find out when the store restocks, so that if you can be there around that time, you can find and pick what you like before everyone else!
8. Don't expect to find something EVERY time, be patient.
  • There's no guarantee that you'll find something you'll fall in love with every time you thrift. It's ok to leave empty handed if you don't see anything that strikes you, because there's always next time!

Hope you enjoyed these tips! Here are a few pictures of some of the great things I've found in thrift stores, I'm sure you'll find even more amazing things. ^_^








* If you have any budget beauty products that you would like for me to review (makeup, skin care, hair care, and related items), please send your request to me at lindsi.green@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment