Sunday, October 20, 2013

Favorite 5 Mascaras Under $8!

Any makeup and beauty enthusiast knows that one must have makeup item is mascara! Even on days I just powder my nose and opt out of 'putting on my face' I rarely leave the house without a little bit of mascara on. There are 5 drug store mascaras that I absolutely LOVE and swear by, some old and some fairly new. Each of them are under $8, which I think is a good price...considering the $20 and up prices of mascara from MAC, Yves Saint Laurent, Bobbi Brown, and other higher end lines. I didn't realize until I gathered them that 3 of the mascaras are from the same company lol, but I assure you they are all very different products ;). I wanted to do an in depth review of them for you guys, so here you go...hope it is of some help!



1. Maybelline Volum' Express Mega Plush, $5.94 (Walmart)

Site description: "Now, mega volume goes mega plush, our first gel-mousse mascara , lashes never brittle or flaky."
  • Pros: Glides on easily, creates volume and assists with length, doesn't smudge or run easily!
  • Cons: Can be heavy on lashes, must curl lashes prior to use

Overall: I like this mascara a lot! The new formula Maybelline is using for it is great. Even after the mascara has dried my lashes do not feel hard or brittle to the touch. I wouldn't recommend using more than 3 coats of this mascara or lashes may begin to clump together. I give this a 7.5 out of 10

2. Cover Girl LashBlast Volume, $6.99 (Target)

Site description: "Get a blast of lush, volumized lashes! LashBlast's patented volume-boosting formula and patent-pending brush are designed to max out each and every lash, leaving you with the ultimate big-lash look. Now in waterproof, too!"
  • Pros: Amazing brush that separates lashes well, easy to use, buildable, doesn't clump, no strange scent
  • Cons: Smudges slightly, requires 3 or more coats for the full effect it claims

Overall: I want to start by saying this, if length is what you're trying to achieve this mascara is NOT for you, it will not do that on its own. You will have to use it in combination with a mascara that specializes in lengthening. With that said, I am in love with this brush! Out of my fave 5, this one has the best brush in my opinion. It separates the lashes very well and prevents them from clumping and sticking together. However, multiple coats are necessary most of the time. Every time I have used this mascara, it required 3 or more coats, depending on if I was using a lash comb along with it. I give this an 8 out of 10.

3. Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara, $4.44 (Walmart)

Site description: "America's favorite mascara, conditions as it thickens, no clumps, no globs."
  • Pros: Great color pay off, separates and lengthens lashes well, thickens look of lashes without looking clumpy, no need to curl lashes prior to use
  • Cons: Will run and smear from ANY liquid contact

Overall: The black of the mascara is very dark and pretty. If you have watery eyes, this is NOT the mascara for you. The mascara will end up on your cheeks and face lol. Try the waterproof version instead. I would not recommend wearing this on a rainy day either. But without any contact with water, this mascara is amazing. Does everything it claims! I give this an 8.5 out of 10.

4. L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Excess, $7.00 (Walmart)

Site description: "Our newest addition to the Voluminous family, L'OrĂ©al Paris introduces Voluminous Million Lashes Excess, which combines bold volume with clean definition for an excessively dramatic lash look. Our legendary Millionizer brush is bigger than ever to separate and build each lash evenly from root to tip. The mascara features a built-in, anti-clump wiper that removes surplus mascara for a clean and impactful effect. Plus, the ultra black formula amplifies each individual lash for a dramatic lash effect."
  • Pros: Amazing lengthening effects, separates lashes well, doesn't clump, doesn't leave lashes feeling brittle
  • Cons: Inky smell

Overall: This is the newest one, and my favorite of the 5, hands down! I love how my lashes feel when I'm wearing this mascara. The brush is amazing. It grabs and coats each lash, even the tinier ones that are sometimes missed by other mascara wands. The only thing I dislike is the smell. I have a sensitive nose, and I noticed an ink sort of smell as soon as I opened the tube that stuck around until the mascara was fully dry. Other than that, I love it! 9 out of 10.

5. Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies, $5.94 (Walmart)

Site description: "False lash glam in a tube, instantly! 300% more visible lashes corner-to-corner, no gaps, spoon brush."
  • Pros: Lengthens and volumizes VERY well, very good color pay off, no offensive smell
  • Cons: Clumps, Dries out fast

Overall: I have such a love hate relationship with The Falsies lol. This mascara gives INSANE length that I absolutely love. The dark color is great as well. However, it dries out very fast and gets clumpy if any more than 2 coats are used. I recommend using a clean lash comb between each coat of the falsies to prevent the clumpy, spidery look that we all despise. I give this one a 7.5 out of 10.




* If you have any budget beauty products that you would like for me to review (makeup, skin care, hair care, and related items), please send your request to me at lindsi.green@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment