Saturday, October 5, 2013

Merle Norman Review

Ok, so how many of you have heard of Merle Norman? When I think of Merle Norman, I think “old lady makeup”. I've NEVER met any women around my age that use Merle Norman products. There are several reasons for this I think: 
  1. It's not really marketed toward young women
  2. There aren't many commercials or advertisements for the brand
  3. It's mostly on the pricey side  (well, some products)
However, my brother’s girlfriend recently bought her own boutique in Tennessee from an older lady who is retiring, which means what? Samples! I've received countless samples from her, but 2 of these products were good enough to buy, despite being what I consider on the pricier side. The 3rd is a large sample, which I will probably end up buying once I run out anyway. My biggest gripe, however, is that you can’t buy it online. You have to find a Merle Norman boutique near you =/ lol. The 3 products I’ll be reviewing are as follows (in order): Clarifying Clay Mask, Brilliant-C Toner, and Foundation Primer plus SPF 15.
1. Clarifying Clay Mask
Site description: "For Normal to Oily skin types. 
Control oil and unclog pores by going to the matte with this skin-refining mask! Kaolin Clay draws out impurities and minimizes the appearance of pores. It glides on smoothly to provide a deep-down clean feeling while eliminating excess oil. Leaves skin brighter, refined and radiant for a healthy-looking appearance. Oil-free. Non-acnegenic. Non-comedogenic."
My opinion: Works like a charm! The scent is very pleasant and light, and it does exactly what it says. However, it absolutely must be used as directed, or it WILL dry out your skin. The directions say to leave on for 5 minutes, any longer and it will leave skin feeling a bit dry. I would not recommend this for people with dry skin at all, as it can be drying even on very oily skin types such as mine. I give it a 9/10.
Retails at: $22.00 (3.4 fl oz.)
2. Brilliant-C Toner
Site description: “For all skin types and aging concerns. 
Keep skin on the “bright” track by sweeping away any dulling residue or impurities left after cleansing. It delivers a second dose of our exclusive Bright+ Complex® to help diminish the appearance of spots and discoloration. Leaves skin looking and feeling comfortably fresh, even-toned and more youthful. Helps maximize moisture absorption too!”
My opinion: Works well. Brightens skin effectively and helps lighten dark spots caused by acne because of the high concentration of Vitamin C. The smell is extremely citrusy, so if you’re not a fan of citrus smells this is not the toner for you. Fast drying if you don’t use too much! The smell is very overpowering, but I do like the product overall. I give it a 7.5/10.
Retails at: $20.00 (6 fl oz.)
3. Foundation Primer Plus SPF 15
There is no site description available. I do believe this is a fairly new product!
My opinion: I love the consistency. It’s a gel, something I've never seen in a foundation primer before. It glides on really smoothly and doesn't clog pores up, so it won’t cause acne. It mattifies the skin really nicely and blends really well. A little goes a long way with this product. The SPF 15 also provides protection from sun exposure while helping keep any dark spots from acne scars from getting darker. The only complaint I have is that the oil starts to peek through your foundation after about 6 hours if you've got very oily skin, but if used in conjunction with oil-free and oil-controlling products it should be just fine! I give it an 8.5/10.
Retails at: $31.00 (1.25 fl oz.)




* If you have any budget beauty products that you would like for me to review (makeup, skin care, hair care, and related items), please send your request to me at lindsi.green@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment